What does my colon do?
Your colon is a key player in the body’s digestion process. It has several responsibilities including making and absorbing important vitamins, re-absorbing water, and eliminating waste, digested food, and toxins from the body. It may not seem like it has a very big job to do but the impact the colon has on your body is huge.
How do I know if my colon needs help?
If the colon can’t do it’s job properly, toxins can build up and recirculate through the body causing symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, flu-like symptoms, nausea, heartburn, and more. Along with the above listed issues, fecal matter can become impacted on the walls of the colon, stretching the colon out and causing it to loose it’s shape and the ability to absorb the important vitamins it needs to maintain good health and proper function. Other common symptoms of a dysfunctioning colon include, constipation, diarrhea, gas and bloating, and stomach pain and/or cramps.
How can I keep my colon healthy?
There are many ways to keep your colon happy, healthy, and working smoothly. Here’s a list to get you started:
- The number one thing you can do is to eat a sensible diet that includes plenty of fiber containing vegetables and fruits. The fiber in these foods will help to bind the fecal matter together, making for a smooth and trouble free elimination process.
- Drink water from a quality source and stay properly hydrated to keep your colon lubricated, allowing the waste material and toxins to get where they need to go. Good hydration is also essential in preventing constipation.
- Nix the sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners have been known to cause diarrhea and sugar can cause an imbalance in your gut flora, allowing the bad bacteria to overtake the good bacteria. Maintaining a good balance between the good and bad bacteria will keep your tummy happy.
- Take a good probiotic and/or eat properly prepared fermented foods to help keep your digestive system working to it’s full potential. The elimination process is a necessary factor in keeping your digestive health in good order.
- If you are having many symptoms such as the ones we have talked about, colon hydrotherapy, also called colonics or high enemas, could bring relief and kick start your colon back into good working condition. You can read about how colon hydrotherapy works here.
The suggestions above can help you keep your colon healthy and reward you with good overall health and vitality.